[OSM-dev] Ponderings about an improved tagging scheme

G H S tiosancho at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 02:18:04 GMT 2009

I'm just getting started here, so I don't want to offend any founding members or dredge up a well beaten horse... BUT

Just looking through the data and some example tags, I was baffled as
to how the tags could be used effectively and consistently as they
stand today.  They seem to have descriptive values on both sides of the
= sign.  For example, "water=river", or "waterway=riverbank".  Even
"highway=secondary" is a bit perplexing, since it seems to me that the
term "highway" is a value that answers the question, "What kind of way
is it?"

What Steve has proposed is what I would have expected.  I can already see adding a "natural" type, so I added a quick one to his page.

Is there something we're overlooking about the current scheme?

Gavin