[OSM-dev] Ponderings about an improved tagging scheme

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Fri Feb 20 13:51:05 GMT 2009

"Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)" <ajrlists at googlemail.com> writes:

> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>Sent: 20 February 2009 1:48 AM
>>To: Steve Hill
>>Cc: dev at openstreetmap.org
>>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] Ponderings about an improved tagging scheme
>>
>>Hi,

>>> Would you like to explain why it is utterly unworkable?
>>
>>Every single OSM tool treats relations as some "nice to have" extra,
>>whereas I understood your concept to make them central. A way would not
>>have any meaning by itself but only in the context of a relation. I
>>believe this would require a major re-write of many tools to remain
>>halfway efficient, thus my verdict of "utterly unworkable with the
>>current software landscape".
>
> There is also the point that it has to be easily understandable to
> contributors. Relations are only just starting to be understood by a few
> dedicated mappers, anything that increases complexity on other objects will
> require a very slick editor interface to bury that complexity from the
> contributor, especially as I very much hope in the not to distant future we
> might seen the emergence of very simple editor functions for adding POI's
> and the like by a much wider populace.

This is probably easier for newcomers than for people who just got
used to the current way of doing things.

I don't think complexity is a big issue here because it makes the
tagging more consistent.  Instead of thinking nodes/ways/relations one
needs to think points/(poly)lines/objects.  Everything you want to map
is an object, most of which need to get a geographic reference as one
of its attributes.

Of course this needs editor support, but I don't think it needs to be
very slick.

Matthias