[OSM-dev] Mapnik layer fontset fonts

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Fri Feb 20 07:38:31 GMT 2009

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have a list of fonts (or other font config info) used on the
tile server to produce the mapnik layer?

I ask as I'm working on getting a multilayer/multilanguage (Asia centric)
slippy map set up and I'm seeing characters disappearing at certain font
sizes that render fine on the normal mapnik layer...

The fontset I'm using contains the following as I'm concentrating on CJK at
the moment...
          <Font face_name="DejaVu Sans Book" />
          <Font face_name="AR PL ShanHeiSun Uni Regular" />
          <Font face_name="AR PL ZenKai Uni Medium" />
          <Font face_name="Sazanami Mincho Regular" />
          <Font face_name="Sazanami Gothic Regular" />
          <Font face_name="Baekmuk Dotum Regular" />
          <Font face_name="unifont Medium" />

If you want to have a look, the map is at
http://osm.newportcoastsoftware.com the language layers can be selected in
the normal way by clicking the plus at the right...

The world has been rendered without captions to zoom level 5, and all
caption layers have been also rendered to zoom level 5...
Asia has been rendered without captions to zoom level 12, caption layers are
still rendering, but currently default (name) and english (name:en) layers
are available to at least zoom level 10...

The layers available are:
Base - Default, no captions base layer
name captions - Captions using the 'name' tag for default names
name:en captions - Captions using the 'name:en' tag for English names,
falling back to name
name:zh captions - Captions using the 'name:zh' tag for Chinese names,
falling back to name
name:zh_py captions - Captions using the 'name:zh_py' tag for Chinese Pinyin
(Mandarin) names, falling back to name
name:zh_pyt captions - Captions using the 'name:zh_pyt' tag for Chinese
Pinyin names with tone marks, falling back to 'name:zh_py', falling back to
name
name:ja captions - Captions using the 'name:ja' tag for Japanese names,
falling back to name
name:ja_rm captions - Captions using the 'name:ja_rm' tag for romanised
Japanese names, falling back to name

Tiles are being generated with generate_tiles.py for viewing performance
reasons, they are currently not being produced at 256 colours because of
loss of transparency, which is kind of important for this :) as such, the
tiles may be a bit big...

Mapnik is current svn version, with only one line changed to make it build
with boost 1.33 (centos 5)
Database is being synced with diffs, but, there appears to have been a
couple of diffs missed at some point
the stylesheet is the one from svn, there do seem to be some differences to
the current rendering style of the mapnik layer though, so may be a little
out of date...
index.html was blatently pinched from www.informationfreeway.org
tile.openstreetmap.nl/README.txt instructions were useful in getting the
database set up and the data into the database
regionalised rendering details on the wiki provided the idea of using views

Thanks,