[OSM-dev] How to download the map data Programatically and make right-click menu support?

Stefan Breunig stefan at mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Feb 24 03:29:18 GMT 2009

Yeah, they sniff for the user agent and present a context menu if the
browser supports it in default settings. Opera doesn't get the context
menu at all because it by default displays the normal context menu. I
get the context menu with Firefox because Google assumes I have not
switched that pref, which is obviously a bad idea. Just think of the
crappy "optimized for Internet Explorer @ 800x600" pages.
>From my experience I can tell that normal users first discover this
contextmenu when trying to copy the map. It wouldn't work if the
context menu wasn't there either, but that's not the point: They
discovered it while trying to use the browser's internal functions…
doesn't sound like a well placed menu.
Plus, since Opera and some Mozilla installations don't support this –
and even Firefox might flip this preference once it gets abused too
much – you can't put important stuff in the context menu. Even Google
knows this and they've added only two non-redundant functions: Route
from/to here. And both of them are unimportant – reverse geocoding
just isn't the common case, at least not when manually searching for
routes (and navigate tools do this automatically for me…).

So long story short: no context menus :)

Greetings
xeen

--
Please encrypt your mail: