[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] 0.6 move and downtime

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Tue Jan 20 12:02:00 GMT 2009

Cool!  This is great news.  And only 10 months or so later than
Frederik's initial estimate ;-)

I'm posting to dev because it is more appropriate for my question ...

Is there a list of the minor tweaks being done to the db during the
reload?  I couldn't see anything on the API 0.6 wiki page.  For example:
* Fixing of utf8 (double) encoding issues.
* Date Timezones.  Current time is in BST I believe, perhaps now is a
good time to convert to UTC.

The next chance to make changes like this could be many months if not
years away so it would be a shame to miss it.  The utf8 one is an
obvious one that has been discussed before so believe it is being
addressed.  The timezone may not be seen as an issue so might not have
come up.

Currently I have to be very careful in osmosis to make sure the app is
running in the same timezone as the server, and to make sure that I
don't mess up timezone conversions when writing UTC times out to files.
Perhaps the bigger issue is that I think I may end up missing data in
diffs at the end of daylight savings time when the clock goes backwards
an hour (at least I think it does, I haven't tested the transition
period).  UTC would avoid all of this confusion and make life easier for
everybody (well me anyway :-).  Perhaps there's no need for an actual
"conversion", it might be enough to simply make the API run in a UTC
timezone from 0.6 onwards, old data in daylight savings periods that is
off by an hour shouldn't be a big issue.  I'm not 100% sure about
anything I'm saying here so happy to be corrected.

Brett