[OSM-dev] openstreetmap could start at user's approximate location using geo-ip

Sam Watkins swatkins at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 20 15:07:01 GMT 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:27 +0000, "Tom Hughes" <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> Sam Watkins wrote:
> > Geo::IP is a perl interface to the free available version of maxmind's
> > geo-ip database. From the manpage:
>
> The only issue with that database is that I think we would have to find
> space somewhere on the page for the acknowledgement that the license
> requires, and space on our homepage is at something of a premium.

It definitely doesn't require that:

>From the license:

All advertising materials and documentation mentioning features or use
of
this database must display the following acknowledgment:
"This product includes GeoLite data created by MaxMind, available from
http://maxmind.com/"

The homepage is neither advertising material or documentation, and
there's no requirement to mention the use of geo-ip system at all.
If you do mention the use or features of geo-ip in documentation, we can
include that acknowledgement. It's obviously not a core feature of osm
so no need to mention it except possibly in the most detailed
documentation. They're not trying to get on anyone's home page!

regards,

Sam