[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql planet import time issues?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 12:51:39 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Ivo Brodien <philotas at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> The main tile server imports the data with:
>> $ osm2pgsql --slim -C 2100
>
> it worked with this the option above using -C 2300 - just to be sure.
>
> It took 18 hours on my machine! Quite a lot, but I don't want to
> complain because it worked!

FWIW, it's never a good idea to give it more than the physical amount
of memory in your machine. That will cause it to swap which will
probably be slower. Remember, the database needs memory too (if you
tuned it as described in the mapnik page you gave it about 256MB,
right).

IME for 2GB machine a cache of 1536 worked well without swapping
(about 10 hours iirc).

Have a nice day,