[OSM-dev] planet hourly diff generation stopped 20090627 19:00

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed Jul 29 02:19:26 BST 2009

Grant Slater wrote:
> 2009/7/29 Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com>:
>
>> Hi Grant,
>>
>> What did you do exactly?  I'm not sure what impact I had on this outage.
>>

> <snip>
>
>> So thanks for generating the missing files, it's much appreciated.  Did you
>> just re-run osmosis, or did you have to do something else?
>>

> osmosis seems to have been dead-locking. I couldn't see any obvious
> problems like hardware etc (after all it is currently running on
> deathly old dev server)... I was unaware of the code changes.

My fault, I normally test things more thoroughly than this but I'd
forgotten that I'd made such drastic query changes.

It's a shame the new queries aren't working well though, they're much
easier to work with.
> I updated the ancient version of sun-java6-jre with the newest version
> from debian backports and restarted the process. (instead of waiting
> for the late night cronjob)

Great, this sounds good.  Sorry for wasting so much of your time.
> osmosis seems to have been pushing smaug hard.
> http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/smaug.openstreetmap.html
> (osmosis ended at: 17:12)

I noticed the same thing last night which prompted me to first panic and
second roll back to a known working version :-)

Hopefully it will stabilise now.

Brett