[OSM-dev] Improved i18n diff script for railsport translators

Vitor George vitor.george at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 15:51:30 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
<avarab at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Vitor George<vitor.george at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I know that JOSM uses launchpad to localization.
> >
> > Is that the best tool? Can we use for the main site and Potlach?
>
> Aside from license reasons (we use GPL and launchpad requires BSD)
> launchpad is a complete PITA to deal with. For instance it looks like
> you can only get .po files back out of it by requesting that they be
> e-mailed to you one at a time.
>
> We should be using something like this instead, at least for rails:
>

> http://developer.newsdesk.se/2009/01/21/translate-new-rails-i18n-plugin-with-a-nice-web-ui/
>
> And what's so bad about editing .yml files directly anyway? Of all the
> apps I've translated. Some with launchpad, some with .po, and some
> with home-made systems translating the railsport has been the least
> pain of all of them. I can use my editor directly without any
> translation app or web UI getting in my way.

I've no problem in editing directly the file. The problem is that if the key
structure changes, it's difficult to keep track of them in the already
translated files. We had this problem when we were translating the main site
to Portuguese. The en.yml changed a lot so we had to spent some time just to
fix the correct places of the strings.