[OSM-dev] EDIT-Button on osm-website

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sun Mar 29 20:24:55 BST 2009

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Actually I don't know about potlatch-trac-records, but I find
> double (and more) nodes on a regular basis while editing
> (noticed by JOSM-Validator) and history-files always
> indicated potlatch-edits.

If they are recent edits please file a trac ticket. If they are several
months ago, don't bother as it may well be a bug that has been fixed now.

> Insufficient zoom-capabilities might be the reason for some
> edits, where I noticed that details I inserted were "generalized"
> (erased) by other users (with potlatch). This might as well be a
> result of different ideology (like "we don't get more than 5 m
> precision with our GPS-Devices, why should there be details?").
> Another issue in this context is, that most potlatch users seem
> to don't even zoom in to the highest level, because then the
> WMS-Layer disappears ("Grey Yahoo-tiles: no data for this
> zoomlevel), so they might stick to even greater distances, where
> the aerials are still visible.

IMX quite the opposite. My perennial bugbear with OSM edits - tracing at
very low resolutions - is almost exclusively JOSM users. If I find a road
with just one node dropped at a bend, rather than a series of points to
recreate the curve, it has created_by=JOSM nine times out of then. I'm not
quite sure why, but it might be something to do with the fact that an online
editor like Potlatch "preserves context" when you flick between View and
Edit - i.e. very easy to see at which scale you're editing.

(Of course, Potlatch is a lot more than just Yahoo - I almost never do any
editing with Yahoo imagery (it's just not there in the UK countryside) yet,
needless to say, use Potlatch for everything.)

Going back to your original point, there should certainly be a user pref so
that you can customise what editor you'd like to appear on clicking Edit.
(At some point before too long you'll need to choose between Potlatch 0.11
and Potlatch 2.0, at least. :) ) As Dave says, patches welcome.

Whether or not that should also appear when you first click Edit is another
point: I tend to think not, but at that point the 'default' editor should
make the user aware that other options are available and how to choose them.
Potlatch's splash screen would be a good place to put such a message.

> It would also point out, that Potlatch is not "more
> recommended" than JOSM.

Hee hee. You are kidding, aren't you? I lose count of the number of newbies
who've skipped entirely over Potlatch and gone straight to JOSM "because the
expert users told me to" and then got somewhat bamboozled. TBH I think JOSM
is "more recommended" within the community than Potlatch is.

cheers
Richard