[OSM-dev] User preference for editor

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Fri May 1 00:12:00 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 05:06:39PM +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> 2009/4/30 Chris Browet <cbro at semperpax.com>:
> > What about a custom mime type for a file containing pertinent info (i.e. the
> > bbox, I guess)?
>
> Others have stated before that the mime type option is really the only
> sane one for this sort of thing, rather than the awful localhost URIs
> the the JOSM remote control uses presently. The other option of a
> custom protocol will soon become a pain when using/configuring it with
> multiple browsers.

I tested putting a file containing OSM data on a web server and serving
with MIME type ‘application/x-openstreetmap+xml’.  My browser
(Iceweasel, in this case) predictably didn’t know how to handle it and
asked me whether to open it (and what with) or download it.

I already have a single executable wrapper for JOSM, so it was a simple
case of selecting that and the file was downloaded and opened in JOSM.
This isn’t quite the same as giving JOSM a bounding box to download, but
it works, and doesn’t really make a difference.  JOSM can take
filenames, URIs and bounding boxes on the command‐line.  With the above
method, the remotecontrol plugin is not even needed.

Granted, I’m not your average user, it required some prior setup, but
that’s more because of the way JOSM is packaged and distributed, and
any nice packages that create all the nice shiny wrapper scripts,
shortcuts, file type handlers, etc are vastly outdated.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall