[OSM-dev] User preference for editor

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Fri May 1 08:47:51 BST 2009

Thomas Wood wrote:

> Others have stated before that the mime type option is really the only
>> sane one for this sort of thing, rather than the awful localhost URIs
>> the the JOSM remote control uses presently.
>>

> Call me biased but I find a certain elegance in the way these "awful
> localhost URIs" do not require any configuration. You do not have to
> register JOSM as an application for a certain MIME type; you do not have to
> fiddle with your browser configuration to install a helper application; just
> fire up JOSM and it works.

I don't know the JOSM system, but I agree from a user point-of-view that
having a near zero-configuration is perfect (you still need to somehow
install this "remote control" for JOSM, do you?).

However, it doesn't allow merkaartor or any other tool to plug-in. Having a
simple, standard, way to do it would allow any tool supporting the mime type
to use the link...

Wouldn't it be possible to have an "Edit" link besides the "Permalink" link
on the main map?

- Chris -