[OSM-dev] bad pngs from mod_tile / renderd & meta files

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sat May 2 16:04:17 BST 2009

2009/5/2 jburns <jzburns at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>

>> Are you trying to use the .meta file as a png or the file returned via
> the URL?
>
> through the browser, not direct (ie meta file) access. The first request
> times out as per renderd readme, and the second produces the 0.png download
> in my browser, which then seems to be malformed.
>
> running this command:
> $ ./convert_meta -u
> Converting tiles in layer Default
>
> I get the error message:
>
> Meta file /var/lib/mod_tile/Default/0/0/0/0/0/0.meta too small to contain
> header

How big is this file?

> so my feeling is that the meta file production is breaking somewhere, and
> hence the png's are not being produced correctly either.
>
> Any idea's where to start looking in renderd.c or gen_tile.cpp? BTW, my
> platform is OpenSolaris 11.08 101b, all tools compiled using SunStudio CC.

Intel or Sparc CPUs?

Could you put a copy of your .meta file online somewhere for me to look at?

You could turning off the meta-tile mode by commenting out the
METATILE define in render_config.h & recompiling. That should make the
code generate plain pngs but this code path is not well tested.

Did you have any 32/64 bit issues when compiling the code? What do you
see if you run 'file' on the renderd & mod_tile.so?

--
    Jon