[OSM-dev] API 0.6 - DELETE question

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue May 5 11:53:41 BST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Karl Guggisberg
<karl.guggisberg at guggis.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just wondering why DELETE /api/0.6/[node|way|relation]/#id isn't idempotent,
> i.e.
> why DELETE(primitive) where primitive.visible=false will lead to 410 Gone
> instead of 200 OK?

I would argue that it is idempotent - no matter how many times you
call the method, the end result is that the state of the system is the
same (i.e. the object is still deleted). Whether the response you get
changes or not isn't the same thing, and isn't considered to be part
of the "state" of the system. Happy for someone to tell me that I'm
wrong though :-)

Cheers,
Andy