[OSM-dev] changeset history, area size filtering

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri May 8 20:59:56 BST 2009

Hi,

Mikel Maron wrote:
> One simple thing that would make the history tab more useful is filtering by changeset area size.
> The global sized changesets are usually not going to affect the area under investigation.
> This doesn't mean those global changesets will be discounted, but it does provide some quick way to manage searches through history.

I'm in favour of doing this in a non-core application. The ability to
view and inspect changesets directly on the core system is nice, but
there are a lot of interesting things you can do that would surely
overburden the core systems, for example I would like to have email
alerts and/or RSS feeds about changes that affect a certain area or have
certain properties.

I believe we should create everything needed for such systems to spring
up (that includes changeset dumps and feeds), and the rest will come
automatically. A system that concentrates on alerting subscribers would,
for example, not only look at the changeset bbox but use this as an
index only, and if the bbox contains the area that someone is interested
in, then do a detailed check whether or not the changes actually touch
the area and so on.

Bye
Frederik