[OSM-dev] changeset history, area size filtering

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Fri May 8 21:23:43 BST 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> I'm in favour of doing this in a non-core application. The ability to
> view and inspect changesets directly on the core system is nice, but
> there are a lot of interesting things you can do that would surely
> overburden the core systems, for example I would like to have email
> alerts and/or RSS feeds about changes that affect a certain area or have
> certain properties.

something like this? <shameless self-promotion>
http://blog.cloudmade.com/2009/05/08/a-week-of-changesets/ </shameless
self-promotion>

> I believe we should create everything needed for such systems to spring
> up (that includes changeset dumps and feeds), and the rest will come
> automatically. A system that concentrates on alerting subscribers would,
> for example, not only look at the changeset bbox but use this as an
> index only, and if the bbox contains the area that someone is interested
> in, then do a detailed check whether or not the changes actually touch
> the area and so on.

there's now a full changeset dump (thanks, Firefishy!) in
http://planet.openstreetmap.org/test06/changesets-090508.osm.bz2 and
its possible to dump these along with the planet each week. would this
be interesting and/or useful?

cheers,

matt