[OSM-dev] Preferred Method of Bulk Upload?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat May 9 00:25:47 BST 2009

What is the preferred method of bulk upload nowadays? By bulk, I mean
millions thousands of features with millions of nodes.

Assuming the preferred pseudocode for upload looks like this:

open changeset
  while more uploads:
    upload a diff file
close changeset

... how many changes should we put inside of each diff file? How many
uploads should we make in one changeset?

I assume that the capabilities API call will tell me some of this, but I'm
not entirely sure which piece of the capabilities call lines up with which
piece in my example.

Is the data written to the database after each diff upload or is it stored
in memory, then written out at the close of a changeset?