[OSM-dev] Grumble, grumble

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 11 00:21:42 BST 2009

Hi,

Ed Loach wrote:
> I think, and I can't be certain, that I've lost a whole evening's
> editing, just because one way I deleted in JOSM had already been
> deleted by other means before I came to upload. Surely that shouldn't
> be a problem that loses all the other changes which were unrelated?

JOSM uses diff uploads, where either the whole upload works or the whole
upload fails.

What *should* happen in a case like yours:

1. you hit upload
2. upload fails, JOSM complains
3. if you try to exit JOSM, it should warn about unsaved changes
4. you must now do a download and resolve any conflicts
5. you hit upload again
6. it works

Unfortunately, step "4" will not send you deleted objects, so JOSM has
no way of knowing that the object has already been deleted. It could,
however, better evaluate the return value of step "2" to at least find
out that a certain way is giving trouble and maybe offer to leave that
out of the upload or so.

Currently the only way to deal with this situation is to save the file
in JOSM and then manually remove the "action=delete" attribute from the
way in question, before opening the file again and uploading it. There
is also a config option osm-server.atomic-upload=false that you can set
to make JOSM upload each object individually, which in your case would
have meant that some changes would at least have been stored.

I know this is very unsatisfactory and a fix is being worked on, but not
ready yet.

> I say "I can't be certain", but none of the edits I've made show up
> in Potlatch.

You can use the changeset browser on the openstreetmap.org site to find
out if a changeset has been created at the time in question and whether
it contains anything.

Bye
Frederik