[OSM-dev] Grumble, grumble

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:29:52 BST 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Andy Allan wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de>
>> wrote:

>>> For sake of 'space is available' just keep the changeset and mark it as,
>>> invalid.
>>
>> Why would the changeset be invalid if a diff upload fails? A changeset
>> could be made of several diff uploads and some direct object changes.
>>
>> Goes back to the "changesets are groupings of related edits" and are
>> not any kind of atomic transactional thing.
>
> So in that case all Ed's edits are still there?

no, Ed's edits are lost, unless JOSM saved them to a tmp file somewhere.

i think we're using different terminology - in OSM a "changeset" is a
taggable group of edits, either through the REST API or the diff
upload. a changeset may contain multiple edits via multiple API calls.
each API call is a transaction and either succeeds or fails. this
includes diff uploads - if it does not succeed an error message is
returned to the client and the server's copy of the edits are
discarded. the client shouldn't discard the edits (without warning the
user), but it seems in this case that something went wrong - maybe the
dialogue box popped under or something.

cheers,

matt