[OSM-dev] API 0.6 returns 403 forbidden

Tels nospam-abuse at bloodgate.com
Thu May 14 17:35:32 BST 2009

Moin,

On Thursday 14 May 2009 09:31:56 Tom Hughes wrote:
> Jeffrey Warren wrote:
> > Hi, I suddenly started getting "403 - Forbidden" from my any
> > machine. I also get a 403 when i simply go to
> > "www.openstreetmap.org
> > <http://www.openstreetmap.org>" in a browser (just discovered
> > this...). Have I been blacklisted or is this an outage?
>
> I suspect you're the person I blocked last night because you were
> apparently trying to scrape map data from the API with a large number
> of presumably automated map calls.
>
> If you are the person I blocked then in the last four days you've
> made a total of 8186 map calls, an average of about 1.5 a minute.
>
> If you want bulk data, please use the planet dump not the API to get
> it.

I presume my own application (http://bloodgate.com/wiki/map) will then
be blocked, too.

Using the "plant dump + diffs" sounds easy, but is in fact impossible
for me. My online server does not have the capacity to store the entire
world, and I do not have the computing power and time to convert it
up-front, either. (Not to mention do upload the converted data to my
server from my home DSL line :(

(There is also the question what happens if importing an hourly diff
takes regulary longer than 60 minutes. So far the only data I have on
that is someone mentioning that it "takes between 40 and 70 minutes
with a fast harddisk"...)

Also, to download the whole dump, update it with minute diffs and
pregenerate a huge database is vastly more complicated and uses a lot
more processing power than just to fetch (and cache for X days) the few
areas someone is actually looking at.

So, how will OSM handle this situation in the future? Will there be a
fast API server (plus a few "shadow", copy servers) than can deliver
tile data in (semi) real-time, or will each and every person that wants
to create a "view" of the data have to go to the hassle of dealing with
the entire "download dump, update it and convert it" scheme?

The latter seems like it will rule out quite a few applications just
because it places a really high burden on each and every project to
duplicate the same work. And that is without the small detail that next
year the dump might be easily twice as large :)

All the best,

Tels

--
 Signed on Thu May 14 18:26:38 2009 with key 0x93B84C15.
 View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

 ". . . my work, which I've done for a long time, was not pursued in
 order to gain the praise I now enjoy, but chiefly from a craving after
 knowledge, which I notice resides in me more than in most other men.
 And therewithal, whenever I found out anything remarkable, I have
 thought it my duty to put down my discovery on paper, so that all
 ingenious people might be informed thereof."

  -- Antony van Leeuwenhoek. Letter of June 12, 1716