[OSM-dev] ImportError: No module named mapnik

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon May 18 01:29:05 BST 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 17:07 -0700, Sam Mor wrote:
> HI Guys,
[ ... ]
> john at ubuntu3:~/mapnik$ ./z0_generate_tiles.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./z0_generate_tiles.py", line 43, in <module>
>     from mapnik import *
> ImportError: No module named mapnik

> please helpppppppppppppppppp.

Hi Sam,

See http://www.weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server
Especially

"Mapnik from source
Use Mapnik for rendering pretty maps. We'll use both the mapnik.org
project and some OpenStreetMap.org mapnik-tools and we'll call them both
Mapnik at various times depending on context. Sorry about that. This
section deals with the Mapnik.org project. "

And complete those steps down to "sudo ldconfig"

If you can run all of those steps without error, try again to generate
z0.

Best regards,
Richard