[OSM-dev] RFC: map call to return deleted elements

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Sat May 23 18:28:58 BST 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> It would probably be (a) difficult and (b) undesirable to return, along
>> with a deleted way, the versions of nodes that were in force at the time the
>> way was deleted. Remember we're not talking about a "time machine" function
>> here (which would also be interesting, but entirely different).
>
> This 'timemachine' feature is actually on my todo list, because I expect it
> could really very useful for generating animations from OpenStreetMap.

it would be a very interesting API to have, but my plans weren't that ambitious!

this "deleted map" call is supposed to be to help editors better
support pre-upload updating and undeletion, both of which are
short-term things. rewinding through the history would be possible,
but more difficult than the "time machine" feature, by getting the
history of each element involved. i leave this as an exercise for the
client ;-)

>> These are things that people would have to keep in mind when playing with
>> deleted objects.
>
> Very, very true.

agreed. editors will probably have to implement some stuff to make it
less easy for people to shoot themselves in the foot!

cheers,

matt