[OSM-dev] RFC: map call to return deleted elements [new potlatch excitment]

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sat May 23 18:48:40 BST 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Matt Amos wrote:
>> agreed. editors will probably have to implement some stuff to make it
>> less easy for people to shoot themselves in the foot!
>
> Well, now that Potlatch is starting to disappoint those who want to
> shoot themselves in the foot, maybe it is time to offer them something
> new and exciting ;-)

It wasn't for dev-international (yet) but... maybe we should give
Potlatch users the ability to use queries on the dataset and only show
that to them ;)

Before you go... WTF?!

For the BeNeLux we have implemented live querying on the dataset, with
output in JSON/Python/PHP/Ruby array formats.

As an example: http://xapidemo.openstreet.nl/

Here you see some Dutch features ATM and Busstop, being fetched natively
from the database, and added to OpenLayers. I can imagine if Potlatch
would just request just the features that a user wants (aka XAPI)
opposed to everything, it could actually become doable to edit in
crowded areas :)

For techies: Cherokee uses a reverse proxy to /xapi that via a reverse
proxy ends up in xapi.openstreet.nl:8000, over there a Cherokee DBslayer
instance waits for /json, /python, /php, /ruby automatically ads an
output limit if the user forgot it (we are very friendly), queries it in
MonetDB running there and it will be returned in JSON style.

Stefan