[OSM-dev] JSON/GeoJSON output format for 0.6 api

Tels nospam-abuse at bloodgate.com
Wed May 27 13:35:49 BST 2009

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 14:22:27 Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Tom Hughes wrote:
> > Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> >> Out of interest, do we have any stats on the proportion of server
> >> load caused by each client?
> >> (not sure I really want to ask that question...)
> >
> > I'm not sure you did either ;-)
>
> Heh.
>
> I suspect a lot of the Potlatch load is caused by people trying to
> edit large areas at z13.
>
> We pretty much have to keep offering z13 because for most of the
> world, it's the only level at which Yahoo imagery is available. What
> would be good (we discussed this on IRC) would be if Potlatch - or
> the Rails site, which is after all the code that actually tells
> Potlatch "edit this at this zoom, this latitude and this longitude" -
> could access some metric or other to find out how dense an area is,
> and then zoom in accordingly if there'll be too much to edit. One for
> the hack weekend maybe...

I was thinking about this problem, too. My code currently fetches areas
of 0.1° * 0.1° but this can be a pain when the area is dense, and
wastes time when the area is very sparse.

So, is there any way to access somehow how dense one area is?

All the best,

Tels

--
 Signed on Wed May 27 14:34:45 2009 with key 0x93B84C15.
 View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

 "The Palmer proposal. What ever happened to that?"