[OSM-dev] svn again, revision number in public file?

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Thu May 28 08:32:36 BST 2009

Gary G: wrote:
> hi,
>
> thanks for all the answers so far. i imported my first file and even got svn to show revision no in my working copy. however if i access the file via http://svn... there are no substitutions taking place for the variables like $Rev$. So how does a "normal" user know what revision of a file she/he uses? what can she/he tell a developer if he finds a bug?

You may want to check this out, keyword substitution only takes place if
it is explicitly enabled:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.props.special.keywords.html

I'd encourage you to download the PDF version of that book and do a
search on any queries you might have.  It's well written and an
excellent reference.

What kind of "normal" user are you referring to?  Wouldn't users report
problems with a particular version number of an application rather than
the revision numbers of all the files that make up that application?

If you have a fully checked out source tree subversion can give you
revision information using the "svn info" command rather than polluting
source files with it.