[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql tile expiry freaks me out

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Nov 5 16:22:15 GMT 2009

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Jon Burgess wrote:

> I have discussed the expiry scripts with Matt a couple of times and he
> found that the osm2pgsql based approach tended to hit the DB quite hard.

Unfortunately there isn't really a way around hitting the database -
ISTR that where possible, the expiry code tries to use data it already has
in memory, but for some data (such as the deletion of an old object) there
just isn't anything you can do other than going to the database to find
out where that object was.

> He found that even though the osm2pgsql code should in theory produce
> more accurate results, the ruby scripts tended to work better overall.

If the Ruby scripts produce more accurate results, we should certainly
look at why and try to improve the osm2pgsql code.  The ruby scripts
probably don't expire as many tiles - I think they only expire metatiles
that have a node associated with a changed object on them, which means
that it won't catch cases where a way crosses the corner of a metatile
(with no nodes on the metatile) and where a filled polygon changes
(resulting in a need to re-render all the tiles within it).

--

  - Steve