[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql tile expiry freaks me out

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Nov 23 02:42:42 GMT 2009

Hi,

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> So there are relations, especially boundary relations, where a little
> change to the relation expires a couple million level-18 tiles. (The
> largest way, #35421140, a riverbank, expires half a million.)

While this doesn't completely invalidate my findings, I noticed that I
arrived at very large numbers because my PostGIS database is in lat/lon
and not spherical Mercator. I had adapted all the tile expiry code to
work with this, but forgot fixing the EXPIRE_TILES_MAX_BBOX parameter
which means that when I ran it, osm2pgsql always expired whole polygon
areas and never only the perimeter.

The fixed version *still* expires lots of tiles for large relations, but
not quite so many.

Bye
Frederik