[OSM-dev] Planet File Change Request

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 00:50:54 BST 2009

On 9/2/09, Shaun McDonald <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk> wrote:
> On 1 Sep 2009, at 23:54, Tom Hughes wrote:
>> Data created before the transition may therefore violate some
>> constraints in ways that the 0.6 api would not allow.
>>
>> If you find recently created ways that reference deleted nodes then
>> please let us know. If you find old ways that do it then just upload a
>> new version and that will fix the data.
>
> I'm not convinced it works in all cases, as there is an assumption
> that if a node is already in a way, or a member is already a member of
> a relation then it is valid. This assumption was added to the code to
> make it significantly faster to update larger ways and relations.

yup. but this doesn't change the fact that, if you find something
that's broken and you fix it, it'll stay fixed. ;-)

on a more general note; we're now checking more stuff in the API,
which makes it slower. there's some stuff which, 99.99% of the time,
makes the API faster; so we do that. unfortunately some of the stuff
can't be fast and do the checks[1].

i wanted to link to a very funny cartoon about design compromise here,
but i can't find it on google. maybe i'll redraw it...

cheers,

matt

[1] and be maintainable, and readable, and portable, etc... you know the drill.