[OSM-dev] what server next?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Sep 8 21:12:51 BST 2009

Hi,

Micha Ruh wrote:
> Last night I dreamed about a solution to the cc-by-sa attribution
> problem. It would be soo nice to have appropriate attribution displayed
> in OpenLayer while browsing the map.

Your idea suffers from the fundamental problem that it only counts those
having last touched an object. The guy who went there on his bike and
painstakingly recorded the geometry - zero points. The guy who later
added an "is_in" tag - 100 points.

We already have users who upload tens of thousands of objects completely
unchanged just so that their name comes out on top (see
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/pfoten-weg/edits) - I don't want to
encourage that by giving the last-editing user an even more prominent place.

Bye
Frederik