[OSM-dev] Tile Fonts

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 02:16:54 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Richard Ive<richard at xanox.net> wrote:

> 2009/9/8 Richard Ive <richard at xanox.net>
>>
>> Sorry. I've found the solution:
>>

>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik#Optional:_CJK_font_fallback_support
>>
>> 2009/9/8 Richard Ive <richard at xanox.net>
>>>
>>> Excuse me for being a noob.
>>>
>>> I'm using mod_tile, and when I start the renderd daemon it say:
>>>
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSerif-BoldItalic.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Italic.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSans-BoldOblique.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSansCondensed-Oblique.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSansMono.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSansCondensed-BoldOblique.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSerifCondensed.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Bold.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSansMono-Oblique.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSerif-Italic.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/unifont-5.1.20080907.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSerifCondensed-BoldItalic.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSerif.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSans-ExtraLight.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSansMono-BoldOblique.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSans.ttf
>>> renderd[5748]: DEBUG: Loading font:
>>> /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf
>>>
>>> (I've highlighted the line to show you i've add the unifont)
>>>
>>> However, it's still playing up. Should I do anything else, other than
>>> gunzip the ttf file to /usr/local/lib/mapnik/fonts/ ?

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Richard Ive.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Richard Ive.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Richard Ive.

To get i18n rendering going you need to:

1. Install unifont and have renderd load it (as you appear to have done)
2. Use osm-template-fontset.xml or another mapnik stylesheet that
actually uses the fonts.

Once you've done that things should work. However if you rendered any
tiles /before/ doing this the old tiles may still be left over so you
won't see the fonts being used if you're looking at the same areas
again.

Have you experied (rm -rf'd) your old tiles?