[OSM-dev] what server next?

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Wed Sep 9 11:30:59 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Micha Ruh<gnubold at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/9/8 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>
>>
>> Your idea suffers from the fundamental problem that it only counts those
>> having last touched an object.
>
> No, it doesn't.  I thought of a mechanism to avoid that:
>
>>Users adding  ways/pois get a score of 3 per way/poi added,
>>users adding more tags to existing way/pois get a score-point of 1 for each
>> edit.
>>Import sources get a 0.1 score-point per way/poi.
>
> One could also think of more sophisticated factors to calculate
> score-points.
> - initial creation: 3 score-point factor
> - adding name: 2
> - adding other tag: 1
> - import sources: 0.1
> - mass changes: 0.00001 / change
> - bots: 0
>
> What about a limit for score-point gaining per hour/day for a user?
>
> * Of course, the score-point factors are subject to fine-tuning! They must
> be adjusted, when one creates such a solution.

And welcome to the real world -- if you put up a metric for people to
achieve they'll happily manipulate it to show up on top.

On your original you only made it mean I have to make 3 times as many
useless edits to own each tile.
Adding name, 2 points... excellent, I guess I should first delete the
name, then readd it. 1 point for a tag... thank you utf8 character
set! 3 points for initial creation... well, why waste time putting
stuff in the right place, someone else can move it for 0 points at
some future time.
How do we find bots?
What's the definition of a mass change that's somehow different to a
prolific mapper?

Does it seem worth the effort?

Dave