[OSM-dev] Polygon relationificator

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Sep 14 14:20:45 BST 2009

Ian,

> This feature could be added, but could you draw a couple pictures to
> explain what you mean? What happens with the graph edges inside the
> multipolygon? Since they aren't really polygons, do they belong in a
> multipolygon relation? Maybe I'm not correctly interpreting what you meant.

The typical case is a shapefile with a mesh of, say, post code
boundaries or county boundaries or so for a larger area. You will
typically have lots of individual polygons, but running them through
shp2osm as-is will duplicate nodes along the borders. The goal is to
split up the polygons into their border lines, and then create OSM
multipolygon relations where the border consists of several of those
lines, and every line is used by two adjacent polygons (rather than
importing the line twice just because it was present twice in the shape).

Bye
Frederik