[OSM-dev] "Deep History" App

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Sep 16 10:23:09 BST 2009

Tom Hughes wrote:
> BTW do not code anything new that uses amf_controller - anything
> which is can currently do that the XML API can't will have to be added
> to the XML API for Potlatch 2 anyway as AMF controller will be going
> away at that point.

Gah, Nabble ate my first reply to this.

Assuming Potlatch 2 doesn’t have a live editing mode (and I don’t have any
plans to code one) then it won’t need the AMF writes nor the more esoteric
reads, as discussed here. It will be good to see these in the XML API.

However, the speed improvements in a live-panning editor still make the
whichways, getway and getrelation calls worthwhile. Each of these is trivial
in code size and maintenance: getrelation, for example, is one line with an
error wrapper around it.

The other issue is retaining Potlatch 1.x as an option, even assuming
feature parity between 1 and 2, given that Gnash does not yet support
ActionScript 3 (or, rather, AVM2) and XML support in AS1 is very poor.

cheers
Richard