[OSM-dev] Footnav - new 3D project aimed at countryside users

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Sep 17 13:04:40 BST 2009

Hello everyone,

A quick update on the Footnav project, which I've hinted at once or twice
on here. Footnav aims to be a 3D mobile navigation application for
countryside users e.g. hikers, off road cyclists, showing OSM data (paths,
3D models of stiles, gates etc, and hills using SRTM data).

I've now started work on it and it's now on Sourceforge at:

http://footnav.sourceforge.net/

It doesn't do a lot right now, and is not tested on all platforms, but at
the moment you can load a SRTM height file, specify the bounds within the
file you want to load in, and jump to a location (I've used UK grid ref,
sorry about that but it's easier for me to test with as I know many UK
grid refs off by heart). The SRTM is rendered with a wireframe view.
There's no optimisation yet so you need a proper 3D graphics card
otherwise it will run too slowly.

It uses OpenGL and Qt so is cross platform. Eventual target platform will
be any mobile phone which supports Qt and OpenGL, but that's some way off
just yet!

Anyway thought I'd let people know in case anyone wants to follow the
project or work on it.

Nick