[OSM-dev] Footnav - new 3D project aimed at countryside users

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Thu Sep 17 14:00:59 BST 2009

2009/9/17 Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> A quick update on the Footnav project, which I've hinted at once or twice
> on here. Footnav aims to be a 3D mobile navigation application for
> countryside users e.g. hikers, off road cyclists, showing OSM data (paths,
> 3D models of stiles, gates etc, and hills using SRTM data).
>
> I've now started work on it and it's now on Sourceforge at:
>
> http://footnav.sourceforge.net/
>
> It doesn't do a lot right now, and is not tested on all platforms, but at
> the moment you can load a SRTM height file, specify the bounds within the
> file you want to load in, and jump to a location (I've used UK grid ref,
> sorry about that but it's easier for me to test with as I know many UK
> grid refs off by heart). The SRTM is rendered with a wireframe view.
> There's no optimisation yet so you need a proper 3D graphics card
> otherwise it will run too slowly.
>
> It uses OpenGL and Qt so is cross platform. Eventual target platform will
> be any mobile phone which supports Qt and OpenGL, but that's some way off
> just yet!
>
> Anyway thought I'd let people know in case anyone wants to follow the
> project or work on it.

I'm glad to see that this project is moving on and especially that
it's using Qt :) However, I get a compile error with revision 2:

g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -fmessage-length=0 -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fstack-protector -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g
-Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB
-DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/default -I.
-I/usr/include/QtCore -I/usr/include/QtGui -I/usr/include/QtOpenGL
-I/usr/include -I. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -o Camera.o Camera.cpp
Camera.cpp: In member function ‘void Camera::print()’:
Camera.cpp:76: error: ‘stderr’ was not declared in this scope
Camera.cpp:76: error: ‘fprintf’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [Camera.o] Error 1

I believe it just needs a '#include <cstdio>' at the top of Camera.cpp.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com