[OSM-dev] Footnav - new 3D project aimed at countryside users

Stefan Ziegler stefan.ziegler_zst at gmx.de
Fri Sep 18 12:27:14 BST 2009

Hello Nick,

> ------------------------------
> From: Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>
> Subject: [OSM-dev] Footnav - new 3D project aimed at countryside users
> To: dev at openstreetmap.org
> Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org

> A quick update on the Footnav project, which I've hinted at once or
> twice  on here. Footnav aims to be a 3D mobile navigation application
> for countryside users e.g. hikers, off road cyclists, showing OSM data
> (paths, 3D models of stiles, gates etc, and hills using SRTM data).

Your project is interesting. You seem to have done a lot of work.
Can you provide some screenshots, so we can really see what you have done?
Can you build a download package for the files (just zip or tgz)? I know how to use svn, but maybe not everyone who is interested in your project.

You README file in SVN is really short. On which platform do you develop. Which OS do i need to compile (Windows/Linux/MacOS)?

Do you use some OSM data, or only SRTM. Where do I have to download the OSM data - or is it included?

I thinking about a program which can split OSM files of a country (for example from geofabrik) into different level of details.
(lowest level: only motorways and primary roads and borders, highest: all ways).

> Nick
Stefan (developer of osm3d on sourceforge).
--
Diplom-Informatiker,
Homepage: http://www.stefanziegler-online.de/