[OSM-dev] International Labels for Tags

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 6 23:10:27 BST 2010

On 6 April 2010 12:12, Claus Stadler <ravenarkadon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know if there are structured mapping files for languages
> from tags to labels - such as a mapping
> for
>    spanish
> from
>    highway=traffic_signals
>    Semáforo

To check we are on the same page:
OSM data should be in (GB) English so that map renderers and tools don't
have to account for all the languages in which people add data. but not
everyone knows what highway=traffic_signals means, so you want a translation
to a label. At the moment the Spanish translation of the wiki map features
page maintains the English tagging name, but the description/explanation is
in Spanish (sometimes all you need is the translation of 'traffic signals').

Although the wiki contains the information[1] its not totally structured
> there. So maybe someone is maintaining a set of e.g. XML files for that
> purpose?

I believe not yet, but I can see the uses. Editors could work in different
languages, so you add a highway=semáforo but the map editor translates it to
highway=traffic_signals before uploading it to OSM. Editors and other tools
could share this OSM<->some_language lookup file so that if there is new
tagging (or someone gets round to translating more tags) then all the tools
update with the translations.

I think there might be language packs/plugins for the JOSM editor. I'm not
sure what they do, or how that information is stored though.

Sorry I pathetically only know English, I should make a start learning
important bits for SOTM...
Una cerveza, por favor...

--
Gregory