[OSM-dev] osm.org userpage broken with farsi localization?

Claudius claudius.h at gmx.de
Wed Apr 7 13:23:11 BST 2010

Am 07.04.2010 13:40, Tom Hughes:
> On 07/04/10 12:10, Claudius wrote:
>> It seems that today the farsi translation for www.openstreetmap.org was
>> imported from translatewiki [1]. I've set the preferred language for my
>> account to "fa,de,en" and since the update I cannot access my userpage
>> [2] any more getting a 500 error:
>>
>> This may be a problem in our Ruby On Rails code. 500 occurs with
>> exceptions thrown outside of an action (like in Dispatcher setups or
>> broken Ruby code)
>>
>> Can someone with ruby knowledge please look into it or if no there's not
>> time the one who imported the translation revert that farsi import please?
>
> The problem is actually with the rails translations for farsi, which
> weren't being used until now. Specifically the date.abbr_day_names
> translation expands to an array which only has six day names in it...
> Your account happens to have been created on the 7th day (Saturday)
> which is causing the failure.
>
> The day names we have are:
>
> ["ی", "د", "س", "چ", "پ", "ج"]
>
> for Sunday through Friday - can you let me know if those are right, and
> what the name for Saturday should be? Then I can fix it...

Thanks for looking into it. Saturday is "شنبه" so the full list should be:

["ی", "د", "س", "چ", "پ", "ج","ش"]

Mind that this array is to be accessed right-to-left and I don't know if
that's preserved over this ML. So the first day (Sunday) would be "ی"
and the last "ش".

And while you're at it: In app/views/layouts/site.html.erb the html-tag
on the second line has a parameter for the text direction:

dir="<%= t'html.dir' %>"

in the output this is filled with "ltr" but I cannot find that string
"html.dir" in the locales YML nor in the translatewiki. Where does it
come from?
This could be very useful as a first step for right-to-left support.

Claudius