[OSM-dev] Planet OSM 'bad result during COPY'

Seth Voltz seth.voltz at shiftresearch.com
Thu Apr 15 22:24:23 BST 2010

Jon and Frederik: good hunch, the Austrian import failed with:

--------------------------------
#> osm2pgsql --database world --username gis --password --verbose austria.osm.bz2
... (cut) ...
Reading in file: austria.osm.bz2
Processing: Node(6760k) Way(0k) Relation(0k)planet_osm_point - bad result during COPY, data 430058975   \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \
N       \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      bus_stop        \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      Altöttinger Straße/Aldi \N      \N      \
N       \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      SRID=900913;POINT(1398018.41536173 6112460.23312236)
... (cut) ...
--------------------------------

I double checked the database: everything, including my GIS templates and the working database are UTF8:

--------------------------------
#> psql -U gis -l
... (cut) ...
world            | gis      | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
--------------------------------

Also, I just noticed that when it fails it also crashes the whole PostgreSQL server requiring a `service postgresql restart` to get going again. This started when I began using the --verbose switch. Failed imports with and without --slim and without --verbose just fail but leave the database alone.

The log file in /var/log/pgsql is empty (0 bytes).

Matt & Peter: good catch, it was a typo. I have 8.4.3 from the pgdg84 repository which I setup with:

--------------------------------
#> rpm -ivh http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/reporpms/8.4/pgdg-centos-8.4-2.noarch.rpm

— Seth

Seth Voltz | CTO | Shift Inc.
seth.voltz at shiftresearch.com | www.shiftresearch.com

voice: (774) 262-9092
This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged
material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, copying, or distribution of
this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original
and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.