[OSM-dev] Tirex vs Renderd

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Apr 17 19:35:25 BST 2010

Hi,

Richard Weait wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:
>
>> There are many ways we could approach this: One would be to implement
>> something in Mapnik so that it can allow variables in style files. Then
>> you would only have one style file for all languages and somehow feed
>> the language in separately.
>
> That sounds like a great idea.
> Please see the "New Expressions Engine" portion of the Mapnik2
> announcement. You might like it.   ;-)
> http://mapnik.org/news/2009/dec/

That could be a good basis for what Jochen suggested; the missing link
would be the ability to "inject" variables from the outside when
rendering, i.e. before you call the renderer's apply() method in Mapnik
you would have to do something like "render.setVariable(key, value)" and
then you could have a rule in the style file that, dending on the value,
would create a different rendering outcome.

Bye
Frederik