[OSM-dev] New OSM binary fileformat implementation.

Scott Crosby scrosby06 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 13:47:44 BST 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Scott, others,
>
> Scott Crosby wrote:
>>
>> I would like to announce code implementing a binary OSM format that
>> supports the full semantics of the OSM XML.
>
> [...]
>
>> The changes to osmosis are just some new tasks to handle reading and
>> writing the binary format.
>
> [...]
>
> This was 3 months ago.
>
> What's the status of this project? Are people actively using it? Is it still
> being developed? Can the Osmosis tasks be used in the new Osmosis code
> architecture (see over on osmosis-dev) that Brett has introduced with 0.36?

I'm using it personally. I know of no other users, except that Nolan
Darilek is interested in whether the format can be expanded with
geographic indexing information. I have a few minor tweaks that I've
been intending to make before declaring the format final. Basically,
definining some optional fileformat fields (eg, is the file sorted?
And on what paramater.) There's no infrastructure using these fields,
however.

How much interest is there in this code and format?

Scott