[OSM-dev] How to clean up Negative IDs

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 19:28:29 BST 2010

This is in reference to the USGS OSMCP project - not the real OSM...

When we imported our chunk of data initially (not me - the guy responsible
is on walkabout in the Rockies), we followed the convention of using
negative IDs in the .OSM file. But osmosis was used to load the data into
the database and now all of our data has negative IDs. This seems to have a
really nasty effect on the API - every time something is edited, a new copy
is created with positive IDs and the old version with the negative IDs
persists.

I assume there is something in the API that says "negative IDs == BAD". I've
been trying to test that theory but keep hitting stumbling blocks. Postgres
doesn't seem to want to let me defer integrity constraints, so my efforts to
change a few IDs to positive values keeps failing. Maybe I've lost my SQL
chops (or maybe I just can't do that as the "openstreetmap" database user).

Am I barking up the right tree? Should I just go ahead and destroy the
database and repopulate it using bulk_upload.py instead of osmosis?

-Eric Wolf