[OSM-dev] Period In Key Names: Will It Cause A Problem?

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Wed Aug 4 00:09:35 BST 2010

Will a period in the key name for a tag cause a problem?

It is proposed in:
   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag_structures

I would like to use it for some custom tags I am using, namely
"name.prefix", and "name.full" (see below for context).  The idea is that
".prefix" and ".full" is closely tied to the primary "name" key, and
not some other forms of name such as "alt_name".  If the properties applied to the
"alt_name" key than "alt_name.prefix" will be used instead, etc.

However, if the period will cause any sort of problem I will just use
underscore in its place.  The underscore doesn't make the relation as
obvious, but its not a big deal.