[OSM-dev] New OSM binary fileformat implementation.

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Tue Aug 10 00:33:05 BST 2010

Hi Scott,

I won't have time to do much today, but I've added a couple of comments
below.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Scott Crosby <scrosby at cs.rice.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Scott Crosby <scrosby at cs.rice.edu>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com>
> wrote:
> >>

> > If we go down this path I need two things:
>
> > 1. A versioned jar file containing all re-usable code.  Scott, can you
> take
> > care of this?
>
> I have split off the reusable code into a separate library, distinct
> from the osmosis-only code which is currently sitting in my osmosis
> git repository (published to github).  I have created a git repo for
> the reusable code at  http://github.com/scrosby/OSM-binary  Note that
> the history is messy, so I will be rebasing that repository.

Cool, sounds great.

> How do I configure this project into building correctly and making a
> versioned jar file?

It's really up to you.  You can build a jar file however you choose.  You
can build the jar file using Eclipse, Ant, Maven or whatever tickles your
fancy.  All I need is a jar file that won't change (ie. assign a version
number to it).  Any future jars you release should be given a new version
number.  There's no need to get complicated.  I'd start with 0.1, then 0.2
and so on.

For now I'll check the jar file directly into the Osmosis build-support/repo
directory so that Ivy can find it.  Then we can create the new Osmosis
project for your Osmosis-specific code and add a dependency on your
re-usable jar.  If in future you publish the jar to a publically available
repository we can retrieve it from there instead.

> > 2. The Osmosis specific code that I can use in a new osmbin project
> within
> > the Osmosis Subversion repo.  I can probably get them from GIT if you let
> me
> > know which files I need.
>
> I have a working version of the plugin published to my osmosis github
> mirror. I duct-taped it together by hacking osmosis_plugins.conf, but
> the binary plugin is working on trunk.

I'll take a look as soon as I can.  It could be a couple of days before I
get to do this though.

Cheers,
Brett