[OSM-dev] aviation maps?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 14:23:12 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> In general, OSM tries to follow the "on the ground rule", i.e. we want to
> record stuff that can be easily seen and cross-checked by other mappers.
> Airspace tends to not fall in this category so it will be difficult. Also
> there is no compelling reason to have it in OSM as it will only rarely be
> related to other features (editing the airspace in your editor will usually
> not become easier because you already have the road grid or so).
>
> All this really, in my opinion, speaks for a *separate* database that
> contains airspace. Do not stuff that into OSM; record it in an extra system,
> from which you can then create airspace tiles and overlay them over OSM
> maps.

I fully agree on that. I mapped a small village near an airport and I was
happy to not edit under/between dozen aerial ways (even if it can be
filtered on JOSM now, it's not possible on all editors and you would
download the data anyway and all attached relations from the API - and long
distance ways are sometimes a problem).
Note that the same arguments could apply for underground or inhouse maps.

Pieren