[OSM-dev] aviation maps? - conclusion

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Thu Aug 12 12:23:56 BST 2010

Dear All,

Thank you for all the valuable information regarding the aviation map
topic on the list. How I see it, the following would be the solution for
what I'm looking for:

- I'd need to host my own OSM server, using the rails port, as described
here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/The_Rails_Port
there I could store the aviation maps, separate from the 'offical' OSM
map database

- I'd use Mapnik, as described here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik to render the map into
bitmaps. to handle the specialties of aviation map artifacts, I'd need
to create rendering rules within Mapnik (?)

- looking at the map would be via an overlay, so that a 'usual' OSM map
is but underneath, for visual navigation.

- for layers / airport approach charts, maybe something similar needs to
be used as OSMTransport, http://3liz.fr/public/osmtransport/ - does
anyone know what technology is being used here?

Again, thank you for all the input!

Akos