[OSM-dev] aviation maps?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 18:24:38 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Ákos Maróy <akos at maroy.hu> wrote:

> what I still don't understand is, and sorry for being so
> un-knowledgable, is how the rendering process is handled - from
> vector-based OSM map definitions to map tiles.

It's completely separate from the editing stack. The most common way
to process OSM data into rendered maps is using the Mapnik software
library. You convert all the OSM-format XML data to geospatial
linestrings, polygons etc, and store them in another database. Mapnik
then processes the data, using a stylesheet, and out comes the
rendered images.

Have a look at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik

Cheers,
Andy