[OSM-dev] Announcing: Simple Map Editor (GSoC 2010)

Michael Daines michael at mdaines.com
Sat Aug 14 22:12:06 BST 2010

Hello OSM,

I'd like to announce my GSoC 2010 project which is nearing completion, a simplified editor for OSM aimed at beginner users. It's also meant to be generally useful for quick edits to the map, and to be customizable to allow creation of "site-specific" editors. Some of the use cases I considered were adding names to roads and entering contact information for businesses and amenities, and developing a custom editor for keeping track of restaurants that are open late.

The project consists of:

  - a proxy layer in Ruby, for communicating with the OSM API,

  - a collection of JavaScript classes and routines for connecting to the OSM API, working with map data, and authentication with OAuth, which can hopefully be used in other OpenLayers-based project that require map editing functionality,

  - an HTML/JavaScript application capable of modifying tags or nodes and ways and creating new nodes, using the above components.

The application is available to try out here:

  http://simple-map-editor.heroku.com/

Please note:

  - I haven't done much testing in Internet Explorer. Please use Firefox, Chrome, or Safari for now. (I will deal with browser compatibility issues soon.)

  - Right now, the app connects to the development API, so it may look like there is no data anywhere. You can add nodes yourself, or search for "South Bank, London", where I happened to find some test data at the beginning of the project.

  - Also, you'll need an account on the dev app server. If you don't have one, you'll be prompted to create one when the app tries to authorize.

  - The app only knows about a few kinds of map features. More will be added.

Source is available here:

  http://github.com/mdaines/simple-map-editor

Questions, comments, and bug reports are much appreciated. Also, I plan to update the wiki page with more detailed and current information soon. I believe the editor can be production-ready with a bit more testing and polish. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

-- Michael Daines