[OSM-dev] Announcing: Simple Map Editor (GSoC 2010)

Sebastian Klein bastikln at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 15 10:16:12 BST 2010

Michael Daines wrote:
> Hello OSM,
>
> I'd like to announce my GSoC 2010 project which is nearing
> completion,
> [...] Questions, comments, and bug reports are much appreciated.
> Also, I plan to update the wiki page with more detailed and current
> information soon. I believe the editor can be production-ready with a
> bit more testing and polish. Let me know what you think!

Great, looks really promising!

Let me comment on the user interface:

  * It would be good to cancel the current operation if you click on the
map or another object.

  * If you click an object far right, it is hidden by the dialog, which
is kind of strange.

  * A highlighting on mouse-over would be very fancy.

  * Allow to click POIs that are part of a way.

Another thing I noticed: It creates a new changeset for every operation.
It should remember the changeset and add subsequent requests to it.

I recommend you have a look at the JOSM presets. They are quite
comprehensive have been actively maintained for a long time.

Sebastian