[OSM-dev] Announcing: Simple Map Editor (GSoC 2010)

Andrew Gregory andrew at scss.com.au
Sun Aug 15 13:10:31 BST 2010

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 05:12:06 +0800, Michael Daines <michael at mdaines.com>
wrote:

>   http://simple-map-editor.heroku.com/

This got my attention because I've been pondering developing my own
web-based editor.

I have a Windows Mobile based smartphone (Motorola MC75) that would be a
brilliant survey tool if only it could be used to edit the map. I've been
investigating my options of which a pure web editor is one possibility.

Sadly, no map tiles show up at all in Opera Mobile 10 at the above URL.
(www.openstreetmap.org loads and is *almost* usable.)

> I haven't done much testing in Internet Explorer. Please use Firefox,
> Chrome, or Safari for now. (I will deal with browser compatibility
> issues soon.)

When considering browser compatibility, you might also consider mobile
browsers? Which, realistically, is Safari (Webkit) and Opera Mobile.

> a simplified editor for OSM aimed at beginner users

"Beginner" users and "mobile" users are probably very similar in terms of
what they're trying to do. Probably just adding POIs and street names.

Maybe mobile considerations could be for GSoC 2011?

--
Andrew Gregory <mailto:andrew at scss.com.au>
<http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/>